Pajama drive (Scholastic)
Kindergarten/Pre-K are conducting a fundraiser in conjunction with Scholastic to benefit children in need. Each student is asked to donate one pair of brand new pajamas with the tags still on (any size birth - adult) by Tuesday, December 10 (last day pajamas will be accepted is 12/14). Students that donate to the pajama drive will receive a GOLDEN TICKET which will be the admission to the Polar Express Party on December 19th.
St. Thomas School will hold the annual Santas Workshop in the school multipurpose room on Thursday, December 12th.
Annual Christmas Concert
Miss Steves and the students of St. Thomas Catholic School will present their annual Christmas concert for families and friends on Thursday, December 12th @ 6:30 pm. All students should be at the school no later than 6:00 pm.
Santa and Mrs. Claus will visit the students of St. Thomas Catholic School on Wednesday, December 18th @ 1:00 pm. Parents who wish to take pictures may join us in the multipurpose room.
The Christmas break for students of St. Thomas will begin on Friday, December 20th at 12:35 pm. Students will return on January 2, 2014. Please be safe and enjoy your holiday with family and friends.
Outdoor Recess Policy (Winter Months)
TO: St. Thomas School Families
FROM: Mrs. Kathleen Bowes, Principal
RE: Winter Months and Recess (Effective November 25, 2013)
Dear St. Thomas Families,
Students need as much opportunity as possible to go outside for recess. This is a vital part of the school day. It is a time for students to burn off some of that energy they have stored all morning, get some exercise and simply socialize with their peers. Therefore, we will allow students to play in the snow and play outside for recess during the winter months ahead at St. Thomas School. In order to clearly communicate the expectations for participation in outdoor recess during the winter months, please review the following:
1) When weather is appropriate (actual temperature & windchill 22 degrees or higher), students who wish to go outside for recess must wear appropriate waterproof outerwear. Those who wish to play in the snow, must wear waterproof coats, snowpants, boots, hats and gloves. NO LAYERS OR JEANS! Essentially, clothing that will just be put on over normal school uniforms.
2) Students are expected to bring their snow gear into school and take them home at the end of each day. Parents should not be running things into the school because students forgot to bring them, or sending extra clothes to wear. They WILL NOT be sent to the student. Instructional time is most important, therefore students cannot be going in and out of the classroom to change their clothing.
3) Students will behave responsibly! This means no snowballs, physical contact games in the snow, etc. THIS WILL BE STRICTLY ENFORCED WITH NO EXCEPTIONS. AGAIN, THE SAFETY OF OUR STUDENTS COMES FIRST. ANY STUDENT CHOOSING NOT TO FOLLOW THESE RULES WILL BE REMOVED FROM RECESS. FURTHER CONSEQUENCES COULD INCLUDE AFTER SCHOOL DETENTION, A MEETING WITH THE PRINCIPAL AND PARENTS, ETC. Students should not be playing in the snow on school grounds in the morning prior to school, or immediately after school when unsupervised. **Parental support in this area is vital.
4) The decision to allow students to have outdoor recess and to play in the snow is the sole discretion of the principal. Factors such as low temperatures (below 22 degrees), excessive wind, conditions of the blacktop, etc. may warrant indoor recess. Parents are expected to support such decisions of the principal and playground staff.
5) Students who do not wish to play in the snow will play on the blacktop, and should be dressed appropriately for the cold weather. This is the responsibility of the students and parents. Parents should ensure that students are dressed for the elements prior to sending them to school each morning. Repeated incidents of the student missing appropriate outerwear for the elements may result in the parents being contacted. We ask that parents monitor the weather reports in order to provide their children with the appropriate weather gear for the beginning of the school day as well as dismissal.
Thank you for your attention and assistance with these expectations. Have a great winter!
3 Year-Old Preschool
Come and join the fun! Available Monday - Friday. Please call the office for more details.
Dress Code 2013-2014
Changes have been made to the uniform/dress code policy for the upcoming school year. Please read the following information carefully. Should you have questions, please feel free to contact the school office.